Spoilers are indicated towards the end of the post!
I’ve been excited for this movie since it was first announced. The fact that it focused on the villians and anti-heroes was a big plus for me, but also the fact that it had characters I knew a lot about and ones I didn’t.Although I tried not to get my hopes up too much, with every teaser, trailer, poster, and such that were released I found myself looking more and more forward to it.
One thing I’m happy about is the fact that I chose to deliberately avoid reviews. Knowing that not everyone liked it helped to keep my expectations in check, but I still went to the cinema excited to sit down and watch it. I’ll be the first to admit that it has it’s issues, but overall I genuinely enjoyed Suicide Squad. If you like these characters (or you’re intrigued by them) then you’ll love this movie, if you like comics and DC and anti-heroes/villians, then I also think you’ll love this movie.
As I said above, it’s not perfect, and here are some examples (don’t worry, I’ll get to the good stuff!):
- The pacing and order was a little off – at the beginning I felt like it jumped around a lot, and it took a while to really settle into the main storyline. The contrast between having so much going on in the beginning, and then just the main storyline in the end, really stuck out at me.
- A lot of great characters in the squad didn’t get as much focus. Some of them had great lines and awesome moments, but those things were rare. The overall screentime for each one wasn’t terrible. You do see each memeber a fair amount, I just think some of them maybe deserved some extra lines, or a moment where it was solely on them.
- The editing was a bit much for me in places. This is more of a personal preference. The best way I can describe it is to say that there were “overlays” of colour (pinks and greens or blues) over certain scenes/flashbacks. They were done in a way where the colour was bright but transparent enough to see through. For me personally it was kind of distracting and I didn’t particularly like it, but I get the feeling that a lot of people would have loved it.
Honestly those were my major points. There were some little issues here and there, but nothing worth mentioning.
That all being said, here are some things I loved about it! These are all spoiler free.
- The. Characters. Are. So. Amazing. Honestly, I fell more in love with characters I already knew, and I quickly fell in love with ones I didn’t really know about prior to this movie. Like I said, some characters don’t get as much attention as they should, but I found myself forming a connection with even those characters.
- The music is very fun. A lot of it is very approprirate (the Eminem song if anyone has seen it!) and I found myself bobbing my head and singing the words (in my head of course, don’t want to disrupt anyone!).
- The chemistry between the squad was pretty on point. My only complaint? I wanted more! I loved their interactions so much. There were so many times of building each other up and this sense of connection, but none of it took away from the fact that they’re the bad guys.
I just genuinely enjoyed this movie. It wasn’t perfect, but it had a lot of good bits that I really appreciated and loved.
Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★
If you haven’t seen it, I definitely recommend giving it a try! If you have seen it (or simply don’t care about spoilers) then feel free to read on to see some other things I liked about it.
Continue reading “Suicide Squad (2016) | Movie Review”